Compliance with the Standard of Conduct of ShareWord Global
Compliance with ShareWord Global Agreements: Standard of Conduct, Statement of Faith, GO Team Covenant, and Retention of Information and Applicant Privacy
Members of ShareWord Global are required to adhere to the Standard of Conduct, as described in Article 6.01 (c) of the current Operating By-Law (General Operating By-Law #3, adopted August 13, 2016).
Those accepted to participate in a Global Outreach Trip will be expected to adhere to this Standard of Conduct and Statement of Faith, whether or not they are official Members of ShareWord Global.
The Standard of Conduct and Statement of Faith are reproduced below for review and consideration.
STANDARD OF CONDUCT
ShareWord Global holds that the Bible is the inspired, infallible, and inerrant Word of God. Our membership is composed of believers who desire to glorify God by enjoying and serving Him with their lives. As such, we commit to forsake what the Scripture describes as sin and embrace what the Scripture describes as obedience. We believe that the grace of God saved us, sustains us, and teaches us to increasingly forsake our sin and love our Saviour. (Titus 2)
OUR STANDARD OF CONDUCT
1. We commit to share the gospel as thankful recipients of God’s saving grace. (Ephesians 2:10, 2 Corinthians 5:17-22)
2. We commit to exhibit love, patience, self-control & care for others (2 Peter 1:5-7, 1 Timothy 1)
3. We commit to lives of sexual purity as defined in Scripture. (1 Corinthians 6:9-11, 1 Timothy 1:8-10)
4. We commit to use our gifts to encourage others (1 Peter 4:10-11, Romans 12:6-8)
5. We commit to be people of prayer, confident hope & honour (Romans 12:10-13)
GENERAL STANDARDS OF CONDUCT
ShareWord Global rejects the following conduct, viewing it as being incompatible with Christian standards and values for a personal lifestyle of anyone serving with ShareWord Global. Members of ShareWord Global are expected to refrain from the following types of conduct:
1. Breach of trust or confidence (Matthew 5:37, 19:18; Philippians 4:8; 1 John 3:3)
2. Lying or deceit (Matthew 5:37, 19:19; Ephesians 4:25,29)
3. Sexual relationships that contradict the teachings of Scripture (Leviticus 18; Hebrews 13:4; Exodus 20:14;
Matthew 5:27-32, 19:9; 1 Corinthians 5:1-2,9-13; Ephesians 5:3-5; 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8)
4. Sexual assault/harassment (Leviticus 18; Philippians 4:8; 1 Timothy 5:22; 1 John 3:3)
5. Physical aggression (Leviticus 18; Philippians 4:8; 1 Timothy 5:22; 1 John 3:3)
6. Abusive behavior (Leviticus 18; Philippians 4:8; 1 Timothy 5:22; 1 John 3:3)
7. Use of illicit drugs or recreational marijuana (Cannabis) (Philippians 4:8; 1 Timothy 5:22; 1 John 3:3)
8. Theft or fraud (Exodus 20:15,17; Matthew 5:37)
9. Reading or viewing of pornographic material (Philippians 4:8; Colossians 3:5; 1 John 3:3)
10. Criminal activity (Exodus 20:12-17; Matthew 5:37; 1 John 3:3)
11. Abuse of alcohol or prescription drugs (1 Corinthians 6:19-20; Philippians 4:8; 1 John 3:3)
STANDARDS OF CONDUCT WITHIN ShareWord Global
Members of ShareWord Global are to use their gifts and talents in specific areas that will serve the ministry’s needs, including:
- Participating as engaged members in representing and carrying out the ministry of ShareWord Global in their community
- Providing leadership in local, area, and national roles
- Distributing God’s Word in approved venues locally, nationally, and internationally
- Building ministry relationships with local churches, including using Scripture distribution to assist them in their community outreach
- Praying daily for the ministry of ShareWord Global, particularly for witnessing opportunities
- Contributing personal financial support for the ministry of ShareWord Global through membership dues and gifts that expand outreach opportunities to the unsaved
- Assisting in the development of financial support for the ministry of ShareWord Global through approved venues and the supportive business community
- Presenting the ministry at local churches and Christian organizations to report on how God’s Word is changing lives and to demonstrate the ministry’s stewardship of its resources
While a member is not expected to be actively involved in all the actions listed above, failure to be involved in any of them would breach the intent of this Standard of Conduct.
MONITORING STANDARDS OF CONDUCT
Members of ShareWord Global are expected to self-monitor their alignment with this Standard of Conduct. While different church groups may apply differing criteria relating to areas of Christian lifestyle (according to their own particular theological biases), ShareWord Global members should be identifiable as exemplary followers of Jesus Christ. They will practice personal spiritual disciplines that enhance their own relationship with God and make them effective as a member of an association whose primary purpose is reaching lost people with the gospel message. Their relationship with the Christian community at large should be a positive one.
In instances where a member of ShareWord Global seems to be straying from the intent of this Standard of Conduct with no evidence of personal self-correction, then it is appropriate for the local chapter members to step forward and support the member towards compliance. If, for example, a member of a local chapter exhibits behaviour unbecoming of a ShareWord Global member, the local chapter member(s) should gently yet firmly with the erring member, urging that individual to align with the intent of the Standard of Conduct.
If the local chapter is unable to bring the member into alignment with the Standard of Conduct, they must engage the Area Board. If further resolution is needed, the matter can then be brought to the National Board of Directors.